jeudi 7 février 2008

J'aime pas (3)



In 5 weeks time, it will be the municipal elections all across the 36.000 cities and hamlets of France. In Paris, the electoral procedure isn't very different from the American presidential election. Voters don't directly elect the mayor of Paris but the mayors of each arrondissement (district), who, in turn, elect the mayor of the city of Paris.

Eventually there are 2 likely winners: On the left is Bertrand Delanoé (he has my vote) and on the right, Françoise de Panafieu.

Now, who's that woman?

Françoise de Panafieu may look attractive indeed but that doesn’t suffice to make her look nice to me. She’s the daughter of a former minister of Pompidou, François Missoffe, a very bourgeois conservative from the time when France was suffering under the yoke of the most rotten and corrupt right France had known since the 1824-1848 period. Her mother was daughter of the count and countess of Mitry which isn’t exactly something that is likely to make her popular in contemporary France.

Her husband is a former CeO of Bull, which went bankrupt but like all CeO in France this had no consequences whatsoever for him. She’s also akin to the Wendel family which says all about her class consciousness. Some weeks ago, there was an information on Wiki about one of her daughters having married a Spanish aristocrat. For some reason (the elections are approaching?) this information has been deleted...

She knows where she comes from and which values and interests she’s elected to protect. She may play in the youth playground by having a rollers picture shooting session but this doesn’t fool Parisians.

By and large, I’m not really likely to have love at first sight with these people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and whose main virtue is to be son/daughter of their parents. (M.A.M, Roselyne Bachelot etc. Merci papa…).

Of course, Panafieu isn't responsible for her background but it's always interesting to know where people come from. It also helps to understand the values they stand for.

Fair to say, she's not the most reactionnary member of her party but when I listen to her I can easily recognize the smiling face of the ruling class.

Among her wishes for Paris is the desire to turn again the City of lights into a world metropole. Yeah, we all agree about that. Even Delanoe has the same ambition. But what she suggests is to build a monument of the XXIth comparable to the tower Norman Foster has erected in London. Good gracious! I certainly don't want a giant suppository in the middle of Paris. What's more, such an ambitious project is beyond the reach of power of the mayor of Paris.

So, her other main project is to get rid of the bike lanes that have been set up in Paris in the last years so as to restitute more room for cars. Grandiose!

I don't detest Françoise de Panafieu but I certainly don't want her to be mayor of Paris.

4 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

I remember reading about Ms. Panafieu a long time ago (I believe I remember a discussion about her between you and L'Amerloque chez SF and I was curious enough to learn more about her). Anyway, she reminded me of so many conservative Republican women here in the U.S. and her views did not at all correspond with my own. I'll have to dig up what I read about her and get back to you with more detail.

Anonyme a dit…

Nothing much to add, she embodies values which mean all but sympathy. And you are right not to dismiss her background: she doesn't play in the same yard.
Etchdi

Anonyme a dit…

I have to say that I am very much out of the loop of french polotics other than what I hear in passing.

When speaking to some londoners they refer to that tower as a giant Dildo.

I think it is nice that you wrote this blog in english but I am actually curious why you did?

Flocon a dit…

kd

"I think it is nice that you wrote this blog in english but I am actually curious why you did?"

1°) Some ideas I have in English.

2°) Some of the topics relate to France-American issues or strictly American ones as seen from Europe. So it may be interesting to have comments from Americans who can't speak French.

Re the tower by Forster, I wouldn't mind it in an appropriate setting (now, what is appropriate? will you rightly ask) but I have some difficulties to picture this building in the center of Paris.

Parisians have had very bad experiences with towers in Paris. One tour Montparnasse is enough...